As you know, the success of your company depends largely on the talent you hire. With this in mind, it is important that you consistently attract high quality job candidates to every opening – regardless of the position.
Some companies seem to know exactly what it takes to attract the best candidate, but others consistently come up short in this department. They make bad hiring decisions which cost a lot of time and money over the long run.
Here are five ways to attract high quality candidates:
1. Spend time creating the job description. This is particularly important if you are going to post the opening in local newspapers and online job boards. A vague listing is one that will attract unqualified applicants – and that is something you want to avoid.
2. Reach out to your network. Many companies find their best talent through this strategy. Rather than post a generic ad online, they reach out to people in their network who may be interested in the position or can refer somebody who is.
Tip: LinkedIn is a great tool for not only growing your network but finding potential candidates.
3. Turn to the career department at a local college or university. This may not be something you can do with every position, but for entry level openings it makes perfect sense.
4. Keep your posting short, sweet, and to the point. This is a point of emphasis if you are advertising an opening in the newspaper, online job board, or on your company’s website. Although you may be tempted to write 500+ words, this is typically a waste of time. Most people only want to know the following: job title, brief description, location, salary information (if you are willing to share), and how to apply.
5. Rely on recruiters and headhunters. Yes, you have to pay for the services of an employment placement agency. However, you are getting a lot in return. In addition to saving time, this ensures that you only interview people who are qualified for the position.