When it comes to your job, one word may describe it best: stressful. If everyday in the office is full of stress, you need to change your approach. This doesn’t mean you should look for a new job. It does mean you should consider implementing some stress reducing strategies to your daily life.
Before we go any further, remember one thing: not all stress is bad stress. “Good” stress, for example, can keep you motivated and performing at your peak.
Here are five tips for beating stress at the office:
1. Take regular breaks throughout the day. The last thing you want to do is stay cooped up in your office when you are about to explode. Visit the break room. Take a five minute stroll outside. Do something, no matter what it may be, that will free you from your work space.
2. Eat something healthy. Not only does this serve as a break, but it can also help you relieve stress. On top of this, the right food can give you an energy burst that will push you through the rest of your day.
Tip: the keyword here is “healthy.”
3. Take a break from technology. Despite the fact that cell phones, tablets, and email can make your life easier, technology can also add a lot of stress. Turn off your cell phone, avoid your email, and concentrate on the task at hand. You may be surprised to find that all this technology is causing unnecessary stress.
4. Don’t multitask. One of the quickest ways to stress yourself out is to focus on too many tasks at the same time. If you are working on an earning’s report, for example, don’t attempt to talk on the phone at the same time about an upcoming sales meeting. Let your brain handle one thing at a time.
5. Get organized and stay organized. An office with paper everywhere, junk on your desk, and trash piling up in the corner is sure to stress you out at some point. An organized office will immediately eliminate stress from your work life.