As the NBA comes back, The Payroll Blog looks at NBA team payrolls for the 2013-14 season. The Brooklyn Nets lead the way with the additions of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Last year’s champion Miami Heat have the third largest NBA payroll and are largely favored to win the NBA championship again.
Some other notable changes in this year’s NBA payrolls:
- The Atlanta Hawks and Detroit Pistons had the biggest increases in payroll this year.
- The Los Angeles Lakers, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic had the biggest decreases in payroll.
- Last year’s runner-up San Antonio Spurs have only the 18th highest payroll in the league.
- Of the bottom half of NBA payrolls, only the Milwaukee Bucks, Atlanta Hawks, Houston Rockets, Denver Nuggest and Spurs made the playoffs last season.
- In the top half of NBA payrolls, only the Washington Wizards, Toronto Raptors, Dallas Mavericks and Minnesota Timberwolves missed the playoffs last season.
These are the payrolls for the 30 NBA franchises in the 2013-14 season.
|2||New York Knicks||$89,870,787|
|3||Miami Heat||$84,209,164||Gave the injury-prone Greg Oden a one-year deal at the minimum salary.|
|5||Los Angeles Lakers||$77,245,789|
|6||Los Angeles Clippers||$73,594,041|
|7||Oklahoma City Thunder||$71,781,364|
|13||Dallas Mavericks||$68,520,437||Monta Ellis signed a three-year deal for $25 million.|
|14||Golden State Warriors||$68,138,599||Andre Iguodala signed a $48 million deal over four years.|
|17||Houston Rockets||$67,159,152||Dwight Howard signed a four-year deal worth more than $87 million.|
|18||San Antonio Spurs||$64,559,528|
|19||Portland Trail Blazers||$63,354,766|
|20||New Orleans Pelicans||$63,166,449|
|21||Detroit Pistons||$61,897,253||Josh Smith signed a four-year deal worth $54 million. Brandon Jennings signed a three-year deal for $24 million.|
|27||Atlanta Hawks||$56,331,673||Paul Millsap signed a two-year $19 million contract with the Hawks.|
|29||Milwaukee Bucks||$51,175,131||O.J. Mayo signed a three-year deal for $24 million.|
For more on sports and payroll, visit our Sports & Entertainment section.
Latest posts by SurePayroll (see all)
- Tax Credits to Pass Along to Your Small Business Clients – October 30
- How to Rebrand Your Company on a Budget – October 30
- Client Gifts That Keep You Front-of-mind: It’s Never Too Early – October 29