In today’s day and age, more people than ever before are communicating via email. This is definitely true in the business world.
Unfortunately, not everybody knows what it takes to successfully compose a business email. Instead, they continue to make the same mistakes one time after the next.
1. Spend some time on the subject line. Believe it or not, many people jump over this without thinking twice. The wrong subject line (or none at all) may scare the recipient away from even opening the message. Is that a risk you are willing to take?
2. Use a formal salutation. Yes, the person knows the message is for him or her because it arrived in their inbox. However, this does not mean you can forget the salutation and start writing the message. Go with something simple such as “Mr. Jones.”
3. Be professional, the same way you would when communicating on the phone or in person. This means using proper grammar, avoiding curse words, and providing good structure.
Tip: never use all CAPS. In the “wonderful world of email” this is likened to screaming at the top of your lungs.
4. Short and sweet is the way to go. There are times when you will need to send a long email. If this situation arises, don’t shy away from typing away.
On the other hand, if you are able to get the point across in a succinct manner you should consider doing so. Most people don’t have a lot of time to read email, so you don’t want to be long-winded.
5. Sign it with your name, title, and contact information. The details that you include will depend largely on the recipient. To protect against making a mistake here, setup the “email signature feature” with your email client. This way, the appropriate details are included with each message that you send.
With these five tips, you will find it easier to compose and send professional business emails.
Image credit: © Nevit Dilmen